DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Warning: don't read the book blurb, it gives too much away.

My Not So Perfect Life - Sophie Kinsella

This was an unusual choice for our book group because it was more chick-lit than we usually read. It was picked because it covered the subject of social media and advertising, which is hugely topical right now.

Katie Brenner has finally nabbed her perfect job - at the very bottom of the advertising ladder. The salary is so low that she has to rent a room with no wardrobe space and stores her belongings in a hammock hanging over her bed. She has a long, stressful commute and spends her day doing repetitive tasks. Her Instagram page, however, paints a very different picture - drinks with friends and a trendy lifestyle in London.

Sophie Kinsella is guaranteed to take any situation and draw out the funny side of it, and this was no exception. I'm not a great fan of Chick-Lit as a genre, but if it's amusing, then all is forgiven. Ms Kinsella is one of a very few authors who can make me smile while reading and I did highlight quite a few passages.

I do think that the book blurb gives away far too much of the story and I'm glad I hadn't read it beforehand, or there would have been no surprises. Although it was somewhat predictable and didn't really provide much in-depth discussion, it was generally enjoyed by my book group as a light summer read. The big exception to this, however, were those involved in advertising, who categorically refused to accept the ending as in any way feasible.

My ratings: