DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Madness in Mexico.

Fling! - Lily Iona Mackenzie

I enjoyed the image of Mexico presented in this audiobook, it was painted as a somewhat ethereal place, with otherworldly customs. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy much else.

The narrator was extremely irritating, with emphasis on all the wrong words - I'm prepared to think this may be because I speak English English, rather than American English, but I don't usually have a problem with American narrators.

The story itself started out well, with Bubbles, a sprightly ninety year-old, receiving a letter informing that her mother's ashes had turned up in Mexico, and could she please collect them. She persuades her daughter, Feather, a sculptor, to take her to Mexico, where Feather was planning a summer retreat with her art.

I just couldn't think of Bubbles as the mother because it seemed too young a name, so I kept mixing her and Feather up, but I was still on board at this stage. It was when Bubbles' mother, grandmother and grandfather suddenly turned up out of the blue that I lost my mojo. From then on I found it a confusing jumble of conversations and erratic behaviour that made little sense. It didn't help that one of these new characters was called Heather, which is easy to confuse with Feather while listening to an audiobook.

I can cope with a little magical realism, but sadly, this was just too much for me.