DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Four well written novellas.

Strange Weather: Four Short Novels - Joe Hill

This was a perfect example of a book I would never have read if it hadn't been for a book club - and our fabulous Lit Fest, next month, which Joe Hill will be attending. This is tagged as Science Fiction and Horror, and while I'd not be drawn to Sci Fi, I'd certainly shy away from Horror. Yet, these four novellas, published together under the umbrella title of Strange Weather, were not particularly scary and I found them weirdly interesting.

I listened to the audio version, read by four different narrators, Stephen LangWil WheatonDennis Boutsikaris, and Kate Mulgrew, who all do an excellent job.

There is a slim connection between three of the stories through weather, but only the 'Rain' seemed to me to be truly connected to the weather. A storm is brewing for 'Loaded' (an anti-gun story - though to begin with I wondered if it was actually pro-gun) and a freak weather pattern presumably caused the cloud in 'Aloft'. I'm not sure how 'Snapshot' is connected though.

I am left wondering how anyone would dream up such off-the-wall tales.

I think my favourite story was the first one, 'Snapshot', suggesting that every time a photo was taken by The Phoenician, the subject lost a little more of their memory. Relating this to Alzheimer's Disease made for a thoughtful read. I also liked how I found myself gradually grasping what was going on.

'Aloft' was my least favourite, largely because I got a bit confused and had to rewind a few times to clarify what was going on. Maybe it just didn't lend itself so well to audio.

All in all an interesting diversion from my usual reads and I look forward to hearing what the author has to say in March.