DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Who killed Ben Addison?

Tip a Hat to Murder - Elaine L. Orr

It took me a little while to get into the audiobook version of this who-done-it, and I had to rewind the first hour to listen to it again. I'm not American, so I'm assuming it was the narrator's slightly fast American accent that stumped me. I sometimes find it can take a while to get into an audiobook because you can't listen to the details of new characters and places at your own pace.

The opening hour of the book related to an American diner, The Bully Pulpit (strange name!), whose boss, Ben Addison, had announced that tips were being stopped and replaced by a (small) increase in hourly wages. The staff were up in arms, but it also prompted demonstrations from the local agricultural college, some of whom were for tipping and others who were against. Then the college debate team got involved, interviewing the demonstrators and generally causing mayhem. Unfortunately, amongst all this chaos, Ben was murdered.
Was it one of his staff, one of his customers, one of the demonstrators.....?

Enter the local Police Chief, Elizabeth Friedman and her friend, Medical Examiner Skelly, to unravel the clues and bring the perpetrator to justice.

I'm not quite sure what the term 'Cozy Mystery' means, but I assume this would fall into that genre. It sort of rumbled along, gathering clues, adding new suspects, eliminating others, until we discovered who had committed the murder, and why.
I enjoyed it while it lasted but I wouldn't search out this author again. The audio version, in particular, is probably more suited to an American audience.

My thanks to the author, publisher and narrator, who provided me with a free copy of this audiobook through Audiobook Boom via Audible, in exchange for an unbiased review.