DubaiReader

DubaiReader

"Loneliness is a form of cancer"

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
This book started out well and just kept getting better, perfectly supplemented by Cathleen McCarron's perfect narration. It has joined my fairly short list of all-time favourites.

Eleanor has her life mapped out. She went straight from school into an office job that she still holds now, many years later. Other than her work colleagues she sees no-one except social workers and the meter reader, and her weekends are spent alone in her little flat with a bottle of vodka - to help her sleep.
She eschews social interactions at all costs, until she is inveigled by the new IT guy to help an elderly man who has fallen in the street. The repercussions of this event alter her life to something she had never believed possible. Gradually, as her life changes, we learn more about her past, until, layer by layer, a picture evolves.

This was so wonderfully done, with great characters, particularly the bumbling Raymond. It reminded me of The Rosie Project in some ways and would appeal to the same audience, although it is by no means a rehash of Graeme Simsion's book.
Gail Honeyman has written an amazing debut and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.