DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Death Stalks Kettle Street
John Bowen

An honest memoir about eating disorders.

Ink in Water: An Illustrated Memoir (Or, How I Kicked Anorexia’s Ass and Embraced Body Positivity) - Lacy J. Davis, Jim Kettner

Graphic illustrations are a rather underused technique when it comes to mainstream literature, but they work particularly well with highly emotional issues like eating disorders. Lacy Davis has come clean with her problems with Anorexia and Bulimia (although she shies away from these terms), through a memoir that is honest and down-to-earth, and will hopefully provide motivation and encouragement for other sufferers.

The art work is done by her partner, Jim Kettner, who we meet in the memoir. I have to admit to being particularly impressed that someone else understands her well enough to do these illustrations, throughout the book I had assumed they were done by Lacy, herself.

Society puts huge pressures on youngsters these days, particularly the women, but men too. It is little surprise that many people crack under these pressures. In my opinion, any advice shared by those who have lived through their issues, is of tremendous value to those still battling their demons. This readily accessible format makes these shared experiences even more widely available.

Good luck to Lacy and Kett, I shall be interested to see what they come up with next.