DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Meet a more mature Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes and the Eisendorf Enigma - Larry Millett

I can't claim to be an expert in Sherlock Holmes, so I can't judge Larry Millett's version as in-keeping, or otherwise, with the genre of Holmes also-rans, but it kept my attention and benefited from the narration by Steve Hendrickson.

The Sherlock Holmes of this novel is a much older, less fit version of the man in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books. He is visiting the Mayo clinic in Minnesota, US, to find answers to his health problems and comes away with a diagnosis of emphysema, from years of smoking.

As he prepares to return to England, he receives a note under his hotel door, from a past adversary, The Monster of Munch. The Monster had evaded capture nearly thirty years earlier and is now living in near-by Eisendorf. He issues a challenge that Holmes's pride cannot allow him to ignore.

So Holmes visits the ailing town of Eisendorf, with only forty residents remaining. They are a fascinating characters bunch of though, all of German descent, who relocated to this part of America in three waves, very few of whom remain.

There is secrecy and violence, a fascinating series of tunnels and a somewhat simple girl who wears angel wings and a tiara. An interesting mix, and plenty of puzzles for Holmes to solve.

I listened to this rather than reading it and enjoyed Steve Hendrickson's voice, which was perfect for Sherlock Holmes. His characters were easily distinguishable, just his German voices didn't quite ring true.

With thanks to Audiobook Boom for the audio version in exchange for an unbiased review.