DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Death Stalks Kettle Street
John Bowen

Lovely illustrations and scientifically sound.

Different? Same! - Heather Tekavec, Pippa Curnick

This was a beautifully illustrated children's book, highlighting the similarities between many, apparently different, animals. A blubbery walrus, a wrinkly elephant, a bristly warthog and a smooth narwhal are all very different at first glance, "but look closely now", they all have tusks. The catchy repetition of the phrase "but look closely now" worked really well to keep the rhythm and interest of the book's young audience.

My 15 month grandson was too young for the comparisons between the animals but he loved the images of the animals and making the noises of the ones he recognised.

Unfortunately the copy I received via NetGalley could not be viewed on my Kindle so this is not going to join 'The Forest Sleeps' as one of our favourite books.

At the end of the book all the animals are repeated, with an opportunity to note more similarities between them - spots, numbers of legs, or webbed feet, for example. There is also an explanation for features such as tusks, shells, whiskers, etc. I would imagine that this book would be popular in a pre-school library and for sharing with children between 2 and 5 years, it has plenty to offer for quite a varied age group.