DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Death Stalks Kettle Street
John Bowen

Get this in audio if you possibly can.

The Edge of Nowhere: A Tale of Tragedy, Love, Murder, and Survival - C.H. Armstrong

When I requested a free audiobook of The Edge of Nowhere from Boom!, I had no idea that I would be walking round the house with my lap top (having failed to download it onto my Kindle Fire), looking for housework to do, so I could continue to listen.

I was completely gripped by this amazing woman from Oklahoma who had survived the Dust Bowl and The Depression and still managed to raise fourteen children.

I had obviously heard of The Depression that lasted through most of the thirties, but I was not aware of The Dust Bowl, which coincided with this time of shortages and unemployment, and turned areas of America and Canada into virtual wastelands, exacerbating the poverty and starvation.

The author's grandmother lived through these catastrophes, so she decided to research the period and combine history with family narratives to produce an astounding book that really manages to highlight what it took to survive these awful times.

Although it reads as pretty much a catalogue of disasters, beginning when Victoria is just 8 years old, the heroine is so unbelievably strong that she always finds a way to carry on whatever. I shared in her joys and my tears welled through her losses, and now I miss her as if I've lost a friend.

I should also make mention of the narrator, Beth A. McIntosh, whose Oklahoma accent gave the story even more authenticity. If you get the opportunity to listen to the audio version, I would highly recommend it.

"I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review."