DubaiReader

DubaiReader

A holiday read.

Bad Mother's Diary  - Suzy K Quinn

This is not a book I would normally have chosen but our book group wanted it for this month, so I thought I'd give it a go. It was an easy enough read, although rather predictable and the ending was a bit rushed. It felt like a cross between Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic books) and Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones).

I cringed at the appearance of the author half way through, congratulating us for getting this far, I hope this does not become an author trend.

Juliette Duffy and Nick Spencer have a young baby and are planning to make it official and get married. They are living in London in Nick's mother's flat. Helen is the mother-in-law from hell, appearing almost daily, unannounced, complaining about anything and everything. I'm not keen on books that announce on the front cover that they are hilarious, as I rarely laugh in books, but some of the best moments were Juliette's come-backs to Helen.

Juliette and Nick's baby, Daisy is adorable but doesn't sleep well. Juliette is constantly exhausted, which will ring true to many mothers. Just getting out, without smears and marks on her clothes, is a major achievement. The issue with weight and dieting was a bit tedious, and very Bridget Jones's Diary, ditto the diary format, which felt rather too familiar.

Juliette bravely decides to run the London Winter Marathon, which was a nice touch. Then there was Alex, a childhood friend from a wealthy background, hmmm, way too predictable, but I won't add any spoilers.

By the way, I live in Dubai and there is no shortage of bikinis available - not just burkinis and Juliette supposedly discovered.