DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Death Stalks Kettle Street
John Bowen

No more sandwiches for lunch!

Salad in a Jar: 68 Recipes for Salads and Dressings - Anna Helm Baxter

No more sandwiches for lunch!

I don't know if I've been going around with my head in the sand, but I had never heard of a Salad in a Jar. The whole concept looks absolutely fantastic and this book is the perfect place to begin.

The author has put a lot of thought into the ingredients to make attractive salads that are both healthy and filling and you only need to purchase of a few simple items to get you going.

The first step is to make the dressing and there are 11 different dressing recipes provided. These can be stored in the fridge and do not have to be made up fresh every day.
Once the dressing is made, there is a recommended order to assembling the ingredients into the jars. Starting with the dressing, items that benefit from marinading are added next. Other ingredients are layered above, according to weight and density, heaviest at the bottom. Dry items on the top can be separated by a circle of parchment if desired.

The photographs are inspiring and once you get the hang of it, this book can easily be used as guide to help you design your own Salads in a Jar in the future. This method makes it so easy to accommodate different tastes, just add or omit certain ingredients.
And for myself, as a vegetarian, it is no problem to simply substitute for the meat/fish.

So, what will it be for tomorrow's lunch? Sweet and Creamy Quinoa Salad (P140), or Sweet and Sour Butternut Squash salad (P134)? Hmm, or maybe Watermelon, Tomato and Feta salad (P74)?