DubaiReader

DubaiReader

Death Stalks Kettle Street
John Bowen

The BBQ that changed their lives.

Truly Madly Guilty - Liane Moriarty

I enjoyed this book, but I have to say it could have been a bit shorter without losing any of the impact. After The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, maybe I was expecting too much but this one wasn't as big a hit for me.

Three couples spend an afternoon at a BBQ in one of their gardens and 'something' happens that has a profound effect on all their lives.
Through gradual reveals we get to learn the answers to the questions that Moriarty sets us up with at the beginning - What was it about Erika's childhood that has caused her so much trauma? What happened at the BBQ that has affected the relationships between all those who attended? And how does the grumpy old neighbour fit in to the narrative?

This is very much a character driven book and the complicated relationships between the characters change as the novel progresses. I particularly liked the input of the three children whose feelings were overlooked in the adults' self incriminations.

The author is also particularly good at the asides that I find myself highlighting as I read; two in particular, appealed to me:
" "Start talking" she said to her GPS. "You've got one job. Do it" "
and "According to Clemantine, Sam treated use-by dates as suggestions"

Covering many subjects, this is a worthwhile read, I guess it was just a bit too drawn out to quite merit five stars.