DubaiReader

Death Stalks Kettle Street
John Bowen

London, November 1960.

Exposure - Helen Dunmore

LHelen Dunmore is one of the authors due to be visiting our Literature Festival in March and I was lucky enough to receive a pre-publication of her latest novel from NetGalley.

It wasn't a page turner that stopped me sleeping at night, rather it was a beautifully written novel that had me turning the pages just for the pleasure of reading. It was also, probably, the most 'English' novel I've read this side of the Millennium. Words like 'wireless' and phrases like 'Bugger this for a game of soldiers', fixed the narrative in a time-warp as effectively as having the date stamped on every page.

It's hard to review this book, as one of the things I most enjoyed was the way Dunmore fed us snippets of information. I feel as if, by telling you who Giles Holloway was, or Simon Callington, I might spoil your enjoyment. So I'm not going to write my usual style of review, I think I shall just recommend that you go out and buy it when it becomes available at the end of this month and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.